Latent Emissions, Chakaia Booker
Plan Your Visit
Docent talking with students in American gallery
Guided tours at the Snite Museum of Art are led by highly trained volunteer educators called docents. They help bring the art to life for your students through engaging and interactive tours. We request that you call us at least two weeks in advance of your visit.
The following are just a few of the many guided tour topics possible. We can also tailor a tour to your specific needs—just let us know what you’re interested in!
- Mesoamerican Art and Culture
- Native American Art and Culture
- Pleased to Meet You: People at the Snite
- Lay of the Land: Landscapes at the Snite
- Art of Christianity
- Tell Me a Story: Stories in Art (for PreK-2)
Scheduling a self-guided tour of the Snite Museum of Art allows you to structure your own exploration of the galleries and special exhibitions at the Museum. We request that you call us two weeks in advance so that your visit can be added to the museum calendar.
Hands-on art-making activities can be added to many guided tours. Additional visit time and a small fee may be required. Please mention that you are interested in adding a hands-on component when you call to schedule your visit.
Sketching in the galleries is a hands-on activity that can always be added (by request) to a guided tour. Basic materials (paper, pencil, eraser, clipboard) can be provided, if needed, and pencil is the only drawing medium allowed in the galleries. If you want to add a sketching component to your guided tour, please mention it when scheduling your visit.
Scheduling Your Visit
We look forward to your visit to the Snite Museum of Art! Please call (574) 631-3093 or (574) 631-4435 at least two weeks in advance of your desired visit.
Things to Know Before You Call
- The date you would like to visit the Snite Museum of Art, as well as an alternate date–in case we are not able to accommodate your first date choice.
- The Snite Museum of Art requires one adult chaperone for every 10 students.
- Upon request, the Snite Museum of Art can offset the cost of transportation, up to $50 per bus, on a first-come, first-served basis.
- If you are interested in a campus tour in addition to the Snite Museum of Art tour, you must contact the Eck Visitor’s Center: by email to email@example.com or by calling (574) 631-5726. There is a fee associated with guided tours of campus.
Things to Know Before You Visit
As confirmation of your visit you will receive a letter detailing your visit. If you do not receive one or if the information contained in your letter is no longer accurate, please contact us immediately at (574) 631-4435 or via email.
The Snite Museum of Art does not have lunchroom facilities. There are several restaurants on campus available to student diners. Please visit campus places to eat.
- Touching any work of art is not allowed, as well as the walls and pedestals on which they are displayed.
- Food, beverages, and gum are not permitted in the galleries.
- Bags, purses, and backpacks larger than 11 x 15 inches must be left in the coatroom or stored in a locker (available free of charge).
- Coats not placed in the coatroom must be worn–not carried or tied around the waist.
- Photography is allowed of works that the Snite owns. Photography is not allowed in many special exhibitions and of works on loan. Look for the no photography icon and ask a security guard if you are unsure whether a work can be photographed.
Information for Your Bus Drivers and Chaperones
Provide your bus driver and chaperones with all the information they need to help make your visit a success with these helpful guides.