Latent Emissions, Chakaia Booker
Jeanette Pasin Sloan (American, b. 1946), Mercato Stripes, 1983, acrylic on canvas. Purchased with funds provided by Mr. Mario Pasin
With over 27,000 works in its collection representing many of the principal cultures and periods of world art history, the Snite Museum of Art ranks high among university art museums in the country. From its earliest years, the University of Notre Dame understood the importance of the visual arts to the academy. Rev. Edward Sorin, C.S.C., the University's founder, invited Vatican artist Luigi Gregori (Italian, 1819-1896) to decorate the Basilica of the Sacred Heart, the Main Building, and several other campus buildings. Since then, the collection has grown through generous donations and strategic acquisitions.
Exceptional holdings include the Jack and Alfrieda Feddersen Collection of Rembrandt Etchings, the Noah L. and Muriel Butkin Collection of Nineteenth-Century French Art, the John D. Reilly Collection of Old Master and Nineteenth-Century Drawings, the Janos Scholz Collection of Nineteenth-Century European Photographs, and the Mr. and Mrs. Russell G. Ashbaugh Jr., Collection of Meštrović Sculpture and Drawings. Most recently, Owen D. Mort Jr. bequeathed a portion of his extensive African collection to the museum, bringing over 1,000 nineteenth- and twentieth-century objects from traditional African groups living throughout the continent to the Museum. Other collection strengths include Olmec and Pre-classic Mesoamerican art, modern and contemporary art, and Northern Native American art.
More information on the museum's collections can be found in our collection catalog Selected Works PDF
The new Notre Dame Sculpture Park located at the northeast corner of Angela and Eddy Streets on the campus's southern edge is now open. Creating a public space for contemplating nature and art, the park features indigenous trees, shrubs and prairie grass and is the home of monumental sculptures by diverse artists, including Deborah Butterfield, George Rickey, Peter Randall-Page, Stephen De Staebler, and Richard Hunt.
As a member of both the American Alliance of Museums (AAM) and the Association of Art Museum Directors, the Museum is an active participant of the Nazi-Era Provenance Internet Portal, which provides a searchable registry of objects in U.S. museum collections that changed hands in continental Europe during the Nazi era (1933–1945). Nazi-era provenance questions should be directed to the associate director, Ann M. Knoll (see staff list for contact information).